The role of a Resident Council is to improve the quality of life, resident satisfaction and participate in self-help initiatives to enable residents to create a positive living environment for families living in public housing. The purpose of the Resident Council is to:
- Promote programs which will provide improved educational, recreational, and social service opportunities.
- Expand resident participation opportunities for public housing residents.
- Represent legitimate concerns of community to housing authority management.
- Provide input to housing authority management and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) on policy matters affecting residents.
- Inform residents of their rights and responsibilities under existing federal, state, and local laws.
- Work cooperatively with housing authority management and HUD on matters of mutual self-interest.