A Message from the Chief Executive Officer
In March of 1995, I was selected as the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Thomasville Housing Authority. Prior, I served under the previous three CEO's. I am the first African American to server as CEO. Since my appointment, my goal has been to make a difference in housing in the City of Thomasville. I always want to go beyond the status quo. I want to be "One of the Best" in the industry. To me "One of the Best" means providing decent, safe and sanitary housing and helping our Residents achieve their goals in earning a college education, coming back to their communities and making a difference.
I have witnessed the difference our housing authority has made throughout the years helping families. THA has spread success stories throughout the community and our Residents are making a difference in their communities. THA has provided that extra push to Residents who hold the "If it is to be, it's up to me" attitude.
During my time at THA, our Public Housing Assessment System score has been recognized on the national, regional, and state level. When the PHAs score was introduced in 1999, Thomasville Housing Authority was one of five from North Carolina that earned distinction through the new system. Thomasville Times wrote, "Housing Authority Ranked Among The Nation's Best".
Consistently over the years, Thomasville Housing Authority has received the score of a High Performer. In 2019, Thomasville Housing Authority was again recognized as a High Performer. Besides our quality housing, we continue to strive to offer more educational programs for all ages in our community.
Since beginning my career in housing, it has been my goal to provide an easier transition for people, to move from public housing and transition into homeownership. Though our Homeownership Program I have been able to see our residents "Reach Up and Out of Public Housing."
My final goal has been to build a Multi-Purpose Life Skills Center on the main campus of the THA. The Life Skills Center will provide education, recreation, and employment to the Residents of Thomasville. The center will be a One Stop Center providing representation from resources in our Thomasville Housing Authority, the City of Thomasville, and Davidson County. After twenty years of planning, with my staff, Board of Commissioners, and the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development we were able to make this dream come true January 26, 2020 with the dedication of the Lois A. Hunter Life Skills Center. I am honored that my dream bears my name.
As CEO of Thomasville Housing Authority, I will continue to serve our residents and community to my best ability. Together We are Moving Forward!
Lois A. Hunter, CEO
More about Ms. Hunter:
- Ms. Hunter earned a Degree in Business Administration from Ashmore Business College in 1975 and continued her studies at High Point College (now High Point University), High Point, North Carolina.
- In January 2011 Ms. Hunter successfully completed the requirements of the Executive Director Program (EDEP) at Rutgers University in conjunction with PHADA.
- In 2017 Ms. Hunter was selected as a member of Trademark Who's Who Honors Edition.
- Ms. Hunter is a past member of the SERC NAHRO Housing Committee and Legislative Committee.
- Ms. Hunter is a past Chairman, and member for 18 years, of the Human Relations Commission for the City of Thomasville.
- Ms. Hunter currently serves as a Trustee of the Thomasville Medical Center - Thomasville Novant Foundation Board.